Friday, March 23, 2012

Sharing the Faith with Kids: Annunciation



Sunday is the Annunciation of the Theotokos. This is when the Archangel Gabriel announced to Mary that she would be the mother of God. Now I will say upfront, I am not going to share anything original. It's been a crazy week, and I want to give you a quality post tomorrow, so this will simply be referring you to another blog and sharing what I'm using from it.

The blog is Charming the Birds from the Trees. It's written by the wife of a priest and mother of three. I do not know her, but I like her blog because she posts simple ideas about homemaking, teaching children about Orthodoxy (she has what she calls "Learning Baskets), and occasional bits of news or interest. She has a Learning Basket on the Annunciation, and on Saturday night, after Vespers, I am going to use a few simple ideas from it for the children at church.

1) Read to the children "The Angel Visits Mary" from The Children's Bible Reader.
2) Have them color an icon of The Annunciation (scroll down to find the right picture)
3) Encourage them to wear blue on Sunday. (That is the Church's color for the Virgin Mary.)

I hope you all have a blessed day Sunday. It's so good to remember the Theotokos' humble and willing spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment