Monday, March 26, 2012

Money Monday: Living Debt-Free



On Money Monday I share ways I'm learning to save, make and or spend money wisely.


One of the standards I outlined for us as a family was to live debt-free. In our society today, it is so easy to have whatever we want, when we want it. If we don't have the money, just use a credit card! Need a new car, take out a loan. Want that big house, get a mortgage!

We are finally debt-free for the first time in our marriage and you know what? It feels great! And it's daunting to think about the need to buy another car in the future, and a house someday, and not borrow a money to do so. But God is big. If He is willing to honor our desire to be debt-free, He can. If not, I pray He'll give us the discernment to go ahead and take out a loan or mortgage. 

Why do we want to live debt-free? It says in Proverbs 22:7 "The rich rule over the poor and the borrower is a slave to the lender." There are many other verses that make it clear it is important to live debt-free. Also, if we do not have to borrow money to buy something, most likely we are living within our means, not our wants. A book my husband and I were able look at briefly, Men's Manual, Vol. 2, said that if you do not have the money to buy something, it is God's way of saying you either don't need it or you need to wait. Usually, when I want something, I don't want to wait and I certainly don't want to just accept the fact that I don't really need it.

As Christians, though, this is a good way for us to practice denying ourselves of our will and allowing God to work in our lives. God does not promise we will have everything we want, but He does promise us He will provide what we need. I have been very blessed to see this truth several times in my life. I am sure God will come through for us time and time again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment