Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thanksgiving Plans and Thoughts



Yesterday I made pies. Today will be the sweet potato casserole (without marshmallows). On Thanksgiving we'll drive three hours to my aunt's home to gather with a few other relatives, just like we did every year while I was growing up. It's been a few years since we've done this, and I'm looking forward to it. My husband, the kids, and I will stay the night and do a few fun things the next day before we head home.


I never knew football was such a big thing on Thanksgiving until I was practically an adult. It was never on at my aunt's house, and no one missed it. After the meal, we'd all head out to the park to see the buffalo and walk off all that food. Some would stay behind and nap. We'd all come together again and have pie. Then we'd pack up the car again and munch on turkey sandwiches during the late drive home. That was Thanksgiving to me.


I feel like Thanksgiving has snuck up on me this year. I guess I've had other things going on. But this week I've been thinking about it more, and I'd like to share a few things I'm particularly thankful for this year.

  1. That my husband's job was made full-time with benefits.
  2. The progress we've made toward a traditional, real food diet (raw milk, local meat, and kombucha to name a few).
  3. The spiritual work God has done in my heart (and continues to). 
  4. The friendships that have blossomed. 
  5. The strength added to my marriage. 
It has been a very full year. A year full of personal growth. Maybe that's because I wasn't growing a baby or moving. It was a year of growing roots. I thank God for all His blessings, guidance, and patience this year. I thank Him for drawing me closer. I hope to remember these things while I pass the food and enjoy the people tomorrow. 

Tell me one thing you're thankful for! Happy Thanksgiving!



2 comments:

  1. I'm so going to miss those pecan pies this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to miss you all!

      I tried a new recipe this year, with maple syrup instead of corn syrup; hopefully they're just as good! And I'll make some for Christmas, so you'll get your share. :)

      Delete