Saturday, November 16, 2013

oral surgery saga

So... how'd it go? Well, I lived through it! But I have to say it was worse than labor and giving birth - for me at least. Not only did I feel like I was dying for 12 hours, but I didn't even get a baby out of it. Instead, I lost part of me. I know, I know, they're teeth, but it still feels like a loss.

The first thing I remember is getting out of the dentist's chair and into the wheelchair. Apparently, though, I had been "awake" through all of the post-op instructions, nodding my head, or shaking it no, and refusing a blanket though I was shaking.

I don't remember the lobby, but seeing the car and I vaguely remember getting in. Then we spent the next hour in the parking lot while I either slept or asked questions about the instructions, again and again, and kept saying not to drive home. All of that feels like 15 minutes in my mind. Finally we headed home (a 45 minute drive).

I will not go into detail about the drive or what happened when I ate. Let's just say my body does not agree with anesthesia, nor the pain-reliever they gave me. So pretty much all of yesterday was spent in bed and not keeping the little bit of food I was eating down. 'Nough said.

But, by 9:00 pm I was finally able to get some Ensure, juice, water, and Ibuprofen down (now that works!), went to bed at 10:00, and slept well. This morning I feel tired, and a little sore, but good overall. Thank God.

And with all that behind me, I have a few positives to mention out of the whole thing:

  • We saw a bald eagle on the way to the dentist's office!
  • This was quite the opportunity to trust and rely on God. 
  • And an experience to give me more compassion for the sick and suffering. 
  • I don't have to brush my teeth for 3 days. (Okay, that's not really great, but it's one less thing I have to worry about.)
  • I have an excuse and the ability to sleep as much as I want. 
  • IT was a bonding experience for me and my husband as he took excellent care of me (while dealing with two demanding little ones). He's my hero!
And while I'm writing, I want to add a housekeeping (blog-keeping??) note. With yesterday being the first day of the Nativity fast, I've decided to take some time off from the blog. I will still be posting, but less often. Instead I hope to make more time for reading books, reflecting, and doing some pen-to-paper writing, which I hope to share with you after that time. 

Care to share an experience or your plans for Nativity?

No comments:

Post a Comment