Monday, December 16, 2013

Snippets of a Dream and the First Step


Do you have an idea of where you want to be in five years? Ten? What do you want to be doing? What skills would you like to have?

My husband and I have been discussing these questions for just under a year now. Once we decided to stay here, in this small rural town, old dreams of mine blossomed back into life. A dream for the future started to take form.

I've talked about this dream, this journey we want to take, but it's been kind of vague. What is this life we envision, hope for? I'll give you some snippets:


  • a good handful of children running around free
  • laundry flapping in the breeze
  • chickens hopping about
  • a couple cows grazing
  • a couple pigs rooting
  • bountiful garden harvests
  • shelves of home canned goods giving us food through the winter
  • beautiful sunsets and sunrises
  • little waste
  • using resources wisely and efficiently
  • buying little because what we have is quality and will last for years
  • sewing and knitting are common crafts
  • as well as soap making, cheese and butter making
  • and don't forget music making!
  • our lives are set to the pace of the church year
  • we give out of our abundance
  • learning is a way of life


It feels vulnerable to share all this because it is close to my heart, and, well... it may not happen. I feel as if I will look like a fool, a dreamer, if I don't follow through. But I'm so hopeful, so excited, that I cannot help but share anyway. It is certainly a journey we're on and I want to document it for anyone who cares and for our future selves. Sometimes it's easy to forget how far we've come. Instead I only see how far we have to go. I have to remind myself that life builds in layers - one step at a time.

God willing, we'll be taking the first big step at the beginning of the year.

We're moving!

The house sits on six acres. My parents own it and we will be renting from them. In fact, it's on the same road as them, my brother and family, and our church! The house has been vacant for years and is in need of some cosmetic love, but nothing major. The layout is great. We are really excited!

I will be sharing much more about this house in the future. Please pray for us as we take this big step toward our dream!

Ignore the screen needing replaced... this is the view from the kitchen sink!




2 comments:

  1. How exciting, Hannah! I can't wait till we come visit this summer and get to see you guys all set up in the new place! And we can just walk over for breakfast instead of driving!

    ReplyDelete