Friday, October 21, 2011

Getting organized... my life, that is

I'm continuing to have the struggle of too many good ideas coming my way and not enough time or capacity to do them or sort them out. Too much blog surfing I guess.

So lately I have been taking some steps to organize my interests, time, and, well, life. The most recent is that I now I have a "blog" night. This is where after the dinner clean up, Coach and Sweet Girl have a "date" out of the house, and I have a "date" with my blogs. Starting tonight. So I spent the first 40 minutes figuring out how to upload a video on YouTube and onto my family blog. Arrrg. Anyway, I was just not making time to blog because when I did blogging, took more time than I intended to spend. This way, ideally, it is structured. I'll have about an hour and I plan to have a few things I want to do or post about. Before it was haphazard and I'd plan to do something "quick" and end up spending the whole nap time on it, or doing other things.

Another thing I've added structure to is how I spend my time on my hobbies and interests. First, I wrote them all down. This list included things like sewing, quilting, scrapbooking, organizing my recipes differently, etc. Next, I decided I would work on ONE hobby or project a month. October is scrapbooking. So far I have sewn a paper organizer (got the idea here), organized my other supplies (stickers, tags, borders, etc) and have made 3 pages to add to my started scrapbook. I am working on pages from our wedding currently. So... only 4 more years to go! I don't think I'll be caught up by the end of the month, but I may just keep working on it slowly here and there. We'll see.

November will be Christmas shopping and projects as well as reorganizing my recipes. I will post about that when I come to it. I'm not planning too much more in advance because one thing I'm learning about myself is that if I plan too far ahead, I just re-plan it as it gets closer. So I am wasting my time by planning the first time.

I think this one-hobby/project-a-month will really help me. I have enough interests to take me through the next year! And trying to find time for a little of this and a little of that all the time was driving me crazy!

Another thing I've been doing is writing out goals for the month in different areas like home, spiritual, Sweet Girl and others. I hope to post a preview each month in the future. This has helped a lot with priortizing. When I plan my week, I look at my goals and decide what things to work on that week. It really has helped me use my time wisely and get things done!

So since we've started our "normal" life after baseball in July, I feel like I have organized my home, house duties, cooking, and now, my interests. I feel so much better when things are organized and for the most part they are. But there are still things like my "Control Journal" and menu planning folder getting out of hand... the six different gluten free flours sitting in their plastic bags needing containers and the list of random projects adding up. I enjoy the challenge and the feeling of completing something.

I've really enjoyed getting ideas from the Small Notebook blog. I just discovered it and  I could literally read her stuff all day! But then nothing would be organized or simplified, now would it?

No comments:

Post a Comment