Saturday, May 31, 2014

3 things I learned about myself in Boston in the month of May

I'm linking up with Emily again for this one!
 
File:Public Garden, Boston.jpg
Image Source

I traveled to Boston (without my kids!) for my brother's graduation from seminary, and included a little site seeing. It was a great trip, but there was a rough time. I learned some important things about myself from it. Read on.

1.      I am an introvert. I never thought of myself as an introvert, or an extrovert for that matter. I just figured I was somewhere in the middle without a title. I really like being around people and I really like being at home. So I never really knew which one to apply.  I read Tsh’s small e-book 20 Things I’d tell my 20-Something Self on the plane to Boston. In it she talks about how she figured out that she’s an introvert: “Turns out being introverted simply means that your batteries are charged more from alone time than from time with people.” A light bulb went off in my head. “Oooohhhh!” Okay, I get it. I’m an introvert.

2.       What it means for me to be an introvert. I traveled to Boston with my sister who is, most definitely, an extrovert. And eleven. After two and half days of travel, site seeing, and socializing without any alone time (except sleep, which doesn’t count), I was drained. My batteries were beyond depleted. At this point in time, we switched from staying at my aunt’s familiar, quiet, lovely house to an unfamiliar, cluttered house where many people were staying, only I didn’t know where I was staying. The people with the answer were the only ones not there. It was nap time (remember, I’m preggo and therefore always tired). I was emotionally and physically zapped. It was not a good time. I’ll skip the soggy details. (Soggy because there were tears involved. Lots.)

3.       What I need as an introvert. Let’s just skip to the next day. I finally know where I’m staying, and it is nap time again. I lock myself in the room, take a nice long nap and then spend another hour on top of that doing interesting nothings on my phone. Afterwards, I feel so refreshed. I actually wanted to engage in conversations. And smile. The following day, I take two hours to come out of the room in the morning (unlike my sister who bolted out as soon as she heard another person’s footsteps). And again, I was ready to face the world. At least until nap time.

No comments:

Post a Comment