Thursday, April 24, 2014

In Which I Tell You My iPhone Thoughts

I’ve had my iPhone almost two months now and since I can still remember life before it, I thought it would be a good idea to write about it… before I forgot.

The iPhone has, indeed, made life easier. But, alas, it has not solved all my problems. But, it has cut me down from four devices (phone, iPod, camera, and tablet) to one. That is very nice. Now my calendar, planner, music, timer, phone, and camera are all on one thing. And I have email. So if you count my husband’s phone that I was using to do email, that’s a total of five down to one. I like that! Or six to two if you count that I did, and still do, use the computer some. Oh, and I still use the tablet here and there, but not daily like I was. So six to three? I digress.

Getting the iPhone was not the most pleasant experience. I was nervous going in because we weren’t sure what we were going to get yet. When we parked outside the store, I saw a mini-van with a Christian fish on it. “Ah, a family man!” I thought. “Good.” Wrong.

Now, the guy was alright. It could have been worse. He was just very different from us. Of course, we are very different than most people, except all the people we hang out with, so it’s easy to forget that fact. Anyway, what do I mean by different? As soon as we told him we were looking into upgrading our phones, and I showed him my non-smart phone he said, “Welcome to the 21st century.” I just laughed but I wanted to say, “No thank you buddy. I’d rather not.” He went on to tell us all about storage and speed and data restrictions. There was a difference in storage between two phones and as he explained it I thought, “I don’t care about storage. I’ll store what I have room for, not ask for more storage. I’ll limit myself to what I have. Not demand more.”

As I shared these thoughts with my husband while we tried to decide on whether to pay some for an iPhone or get free phones we didn’t really like, he said, “So does that mean we shouldn’t get the iPhones? We should limit ourselves to the free ones?” Um, no!

What I actually said was, “I wasn’t thinking of it like that, but maybe.” Yet, when it boiled down, we really felt like we should get the better phones (iPhones) and the ones we knew we liked. And since we did, we haven’t debated about it at all. No confusion or regret, just simplification of our lives.


I don’t know what they’ll come out with next. Frankly, I hope it stops. But then again, I never thought I’d own an iPhone.

2 comments:

  1. So are you going to send the number or is it unchanged? Do you have to enter everything with your thumbs? The phones drive me nuts because I seem to have fat thumbs . . . . And then the words the auto-correct adds to your sentence are more hilarious than helpful, but maybe you bypassed that one. So best wishes with your new device and remember I don't speak that text-talk. ~Aunt Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same number! I don't do text talk either! I prefer real words.

      Delete